Now, let's look at (some free or almost free) alternatives that have worked for many people. I hope they may help you as well.
1. Cheapest of all is trying to locate the allergy/sensitivity that is causing the ADD/ADHD symptoms. Check out the free Caveman Diet and pulse test at Allergy Test.
2. Dr Von has a supplement formula for ADD/ADHD and depression, that helps a lot. It's as follows:
One AbsorbAid (1-800-827-7656)
One 50 mg Zinc
One 1000 mg C
One 50 mg B-6
Two Bronson Pharmaceutical Insurance Formula (they have an 800#) preferably every meal in the middle of the meal you need as much Mg as the child will tolerate, so start small and increase and find out. Mg gluconate is preferred by most holistic folk, I'm not sure of the data and I often use epsom salts (dissolve in water then find the amount which the child can't detect in orange or other juice - its tastes AWFUL).
Give one thing at a time, adding one, so that you can tell if there is a problem.
Dr Von's website has lots of nutritional advice. He also recommends magnesium and B6 for ADD/ADHD as well as depression. Check it out at DR Von
3. For Autistic (as well as ADD/ADHD) persons, there is a bulletin board sponsored by a company that has special digestive enzymes. What do digestive enzymes have to do with ADD/ADHD and autism? Well, one theory is that a "leaky" gut makes for more allergy/sensitivity, and these enzymes break down the food better. This has helped many ADD/ADHD as well as autistic persons. It is also full of advice for parents of autistic persons. Join at: email@example.com. Another source of information is at: http://www.kirkmanlabs.com
3A. Also, for autistic (and ADD/ADHD) children, there's a lot of evidence that a gluten free and dairy free diet can help considerably. For more details on these studies CLICK HERE . Be sure to bookmark this page as this click takes you to another website.
4. There's a "new" therapy technique called EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) that has also shown some good results with ADD/ADHD, depression, etc. This was put together by Gary Craig, and his website containing lots of free and almost free information may be found at: http://www.emofree.com
5. Some have had good results with NAET (Nambudripad Allergy Elimination Technique). However, results are mixed, and Dr Nambudripad has been unhappy with many practicioners who do not follow her technique carefully. There is further imformation at: http://www.naet.com/subscribers/index_ns.html
6. There's a system similar to NAET called Bioset. There's a book "Food Allery Cure", by Dr. Ellen Cutler, which explains about using Bioset to remove allergies. This can also be done at home as the book explains "How To". Check your local library and see if they can order it for you, or you can probably get it from Amazon.com. 7. There is another website that features special testing of the "learning" ability of an individual. This is based in New Zealand, and they report some success with ADD/ADHD as well. Check it out at: http://www.creativelearningcentre.com
8. Wild Salmon oil has been proven to help in many ADHD cases. Flax seed oil does NOT have the same properties. Check this at Dr Mercola's website: Fish Oil for ADHD
9. The following are websites that offer advice on ADD/ADHD to autism relief with food and environmental searches:
Join either or both of the Discussion Groups/newsletters/bulletin boards moderated by Dr Bate. The original and very active group is devoted to Orthomolecular and Holistic Therapies. Subscribe by clicking Orthomolecular. One recently started is devoted to ADD/ADHD subjects. Join this by clicking ADD_ADHD. The only rules are no spamming, no flaming, otherwise it's "free speech" on anything near to the subject. There are several experts on every facet of alternate health on both sites.
You can translate to any of the languages represented by the flags in the icon to the left. Just click on the flag.